Sunday, March 25, 2007

Shutdown Day


World Shutdown Day was yesterday and I participated as best I could. When midnight rolled around on Friday I powered down my file server and turned off my PC and proceeded to leave them as well as my laptop, internet tablet, and iPod in an unpowered state for 24 hours. I included the iPod just for good measure because since it can run Linux one could argue that it is a computer...

Although I did break my technological fast to finish some projected budgets for a grant proposal at the Wireless Neighborhoods office I didn't check my email, brows the web, check my RSS feeds (see graph), or anything else I'd typically use a computer for.

This was an interesting experiment. I channel about 95% of my news, reading material, music, movies, TV, radio programs, and correspondence through my PC. Since I'm also lacking a TV, discrete DVD player, CD player, or radio of any kind -- save the one in my car -- this left me wondering what to do with myself. I ended up spending the day reading, exercising, cooking, cleaning, browsing at Borders, drawing, and relaxing outside. It wasn't bad. Now that spring has arrived I hope I'm going to spend more time doing the aforementioned activities then sitting at my desk watching episodes of Space Battleship Yamato but you never can tell with bees.

No comments: