Monday, January 29, 2007

perspective



actually working with computers every day rather than just playing around with them in my spare time has led me to some conclusions about what they can and cannot do:

computers can:
  • take you to Google -- an important step on the path to enlightenment
  • entice you to waste ungodly amounts of paper
  • cause bouts of disarmingly intense impatience in otherwise normal people
  • infinitely expand the amount of time it takes to perform mundane tasks

computers cannot:
  • maintain themselves and thus:
  • be trusted in the hands of most users
  • bring you joy no matter how much time you spend configuring them, playing games on them, overclocking them, or downloading things with them

they are, at best, tools that help us accomplish otherwise complicated tasks with ease. at worst they are a bulky steel and abs boxes filled with heavy metals that are incapacitated by malicious software.

2 comments:

Jason said...

and when you have google reader open, computers can instantly tell you when a friend updates their blog. i read this post not 5 seconds after it became available for general consumption. ridiculous.

Erin Sigler said...

I am currently living in an upper stratus neighborhood with broad band in a 3rd world country. My struggle to leave my computer in my closet is pretty much a battle every day....and somehow I convince myself that checking my inbox and leaving comments on people´s blogs will somehow make up for the fact that I´m still adjusting to life here....

hmm....


computers definitely don´t make me safer....

but they do let me leave posts on my former boyfriend´s blog that I haven´t talked to in ages....